Violet, Sienna and Gray

Friday, August 3, 2012

Wednesday- Student Art Day! Behold!
by on 7/26/2012 1:56:23 PM



I had so much trouble with slow uploading yesterday, that I couldn't get my blog posted! I am very excited about sharing some of my student art with you. Today, I am highlighting a talented student, who has taught preschool art for years, and is now devoting time to her own practice. It is so rewarding for me to see growth in all of my students, and in myself.

As with anything worthwhile in life, practice, practice, practice is the only road to improvement. Painting is actually a very complicated endeavor. I quoted David Hockney recently, saying "an artist's lifelong meditations are on the problems and paradoxes of representing a three-dimensional world on a flat surface." This is truly a challenge, and one that humans have been drawn to since the very beginning of time; think of those cave paintings.

Painters start with the fact that we have one contained (usually rectangular) space, on which to tell a story. (Usually a story we feel compelled to share.) We must decide what mood, emotion, point of view, style, etc that we want to convey to the viewer. Then we must decide how best to do that, in this small space; composition, color, tonality, texture, focus, brushwork. There is an online painting course, and it makes me laugh to read the course description. Year one is described as reviewing "the first 700 things you need to know" to be an accomplished painter! So each time you look at a very well done painting, realize that that artist has probably worked and studied art for a very long time, and studied the art of many great masters, and made hundreds of decisions in order to CREATE that one work. If you are buying art, that is what you are paying for!

So, here is some of the work produced by my talented student. She clearly has a vision of what her "story" is going to be, before she starts, and then she also knows that if the start is good, sometimes the painting just takes off by itself!! Those are the really good painting days!! Enjoy Betsy's work!
This is just the start of a pretty painting; but it already has wonderful potential!

No comments:

Post a Comment