Violet, Sienna and Gray

Friday, August 3, 2012

Dog Days of Summer
by on 7/13/2012 7:17:49 PM


Well, I have decided to have a "topic" for each day of the week. Perhaps this will really help me to post each day. Fridays are going to be "Dog Days", because, for those who know me well, I am the original Dog Whisperer! Dogs bring joy to our life, without a doubt. Lucy is my 14 year old beautiful mutt, and Tucker is my  5 year old Shih Tzu. Together they are the greeting committee for my students every morning as they enter the studio!Just another thought, the "dog days of summer"; every once in a while I want to remind myself of the origin of this phrase, google has given me this answer today...At this time of year, Sirius the Dog Star, is closest to the Sun, and it's usually the hottest time of the year, thus the correlation. In ancient times the Dog Days were popularly believed to be an evil time "the Sea boiled, the Wine turned sour, Dogs grew mad, and all other creatures became languid; causing to man, among other diseases, burning fevers, hysterics, and phrensies." Whew, sounds like a rough time, but then again, Louisville's temperatures topped out around 107 degrees last week, so Louisvillians may have felt exactly that! (Glad I was in Michigan!)

No comments:

Post a Comment